Centre for Conservation and Sustainability Science (CSRio)
CSRio is a centre for research on biodiversity conservation and sustainability, with the aim of developing basic and applied research on conservation and sustainability science for:
1) Strategic planning for conservation and the transition to sustainability;
2) Developing knowledge, models, syntheses and databases, to be consistently updated;
3) Reconciling the development of basic applied science with research focused on specific challenges.
CSRio operates as a traditional centre with its own multidisciplinary team and as a centre for network syntheses, organising and hosting studies with experts and national and international institutions of excellence with the aim of:
- Supporting the development of national and international public policies;
- Capacity building for conservation and sustainability in the 21st century: blending theory and practice;
- Acting as an international reference point, becoming a locus for events and a bridge with excellence centres.
With the final goal of effectively integrating nature conservation into public and private decision-making processes.
Lines of Research:
• Integrated and dynamic socio-ecological systems
• Incentive mechanisms for conservation (including financing)
• Perception and Valuation of Nature
• Global conservation analyses
• Ecosystem services (water, climate regulation, protection landslides etc)
• Systematic Conservation and Restoration Planning
• Multi-criteria spatial strategy
• Modelling and simulations of land use scenarios;
• Geoprocessing and dynamics of soil use
• Impacts, Mitigation and Adaptation to Climate Change
• Sustainability Science and Indicators
• Traditional populations and conservation
• Relationship between conservation and human development
• Social aspects of conservation economics and restoration
• The city of Rio de Janeiro as a complex socio-ecological system
• Ecological Restoration
• Relationship between society and nature, including historical aspects
• Nature and Human Health
• Sustainability Ethics
Long-term partnership between the Ministry of the Environment, in particular with the Biodiversity and Forests Secretariat and the new Centre for Conservation and Sustainability Science (CSRio).
"Focused on high-impact scientific production, in its first 12 months and while still being structured, CSRio has published articles in the journals Science, Nature, Nature Communications and Nature Ecology and Evolution."
For more informations about CSRio access http://www.csrio.org/en/